Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: 16mm camera search

  1. #11
    Konton
    Guest Konton's Avatar

    Post

    Hey Roger, I'm glad you think that price is a good deal. I just think it's reasonable. I also like the 12-120 lens. This lens has seen it's share of life and is not perfect, but works great. I sent it to WhiteHouseAV to be checked out and paid them a bunch to fix any issue it might have had (I'm sure people look at the picture and think the lens looks beat up). The glass itself has a small nick the size of a pinprick, but I shot a 15 minute short this summer with it and it is not noticeable on the film. I can put up pictures for people if they want to see for themselves to be sure.

    I always like to make sure people know everything I know about the camera before they buy it since they can't just come over and see it themselves. I also bought this camera because I thought it was a great deal and was happy it had ALL the manuals. Not that I actually read any of them, but it's nice to have the option to read the manual when you are not sure of something. I think I have a manual for every piece of film equipment I own. Is that crazy or what?

    Oh, thanks for replying to that heavy and intrusive comment. I never shot with an Arriflex, have you? Can you put one on your shoulder for an outdoor shoot, run around the city, and sometimes not even be sure if the camera is running because it's so damn quite? That's what happened to me with the CP-16. I'm still mad that I have more than 60 seconds of pointless footage shot because I didn't know the camera was running. As far as I'm concered the CP-16 is light and quiet compared to others.

    [This message has been edited by Konton (edited December 28, 2001).]

  2. #12
    Scott Spears
    Guest Scott Spears's Avatar

    Post

    < I never shot with an Arriflex, have you? Can you put one on your shoulder for an outdoor shoot, run around the city, and sometimes not even be sure if the camera is running because it's so damn quite? >>

    Arri BLs can be very quiet if they are well maintained which is true of any camera. I've shot two features with BLs. The Arri BLs I've shot with have ranged from fairly quiet to one very noisy one which was ditched after a day of shooting. As to handholding, I found that it's not that great because the veiwfinder is so far forward on the camera that you end up holding the camera up with your arms and not resting it on your shoulder. There is a shoulder mount, but I was never lucky enough to use one.

    As to CP16s, I'll be honest, I've never been a big fan. I think because when I was in film school, they were the beater cameras you got stuck with versus the BL. I never liked the thread path. I never did it, but more students than I can count ended up with scratched footage. Also, they weren't all that quiet. I did play a CP16-R which was very quiet.

    My final comment is, if you're happy with whatever camera you've got and it does the job, who cares? If you shoot a good movie with it nobody's going to care what camare shot it.

    Scott



    ------------------

  3. #13
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Spears:

    As to CP16s, I'll be honest, I've never been a big fan.

    I never liked the thread path. I never did it, but more students than I can count ended up with scratched footage. Also, they weren't all that quiet. I did play a CP16-R which was very quiet.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    CP-16Rs that have been properly serviced are so quiet that you can easily waste film because they accidently get turned on and you never know it. The film path is more complicated than most cameras, to be sure. However, new refurished CP's have the sound head removed which eliminates the scratch issues altogether. I've owned one and rebuilt several for people. I even modified one to take M42 Takumar lenses and rounded up the client an entire set of prime lenses. Really sharp. I think CPs are terrific cameras if they've been maintained properly. Of course, that would be the case with any camera.

    Roger

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  4. #14
    Nigel
    Guest Nigel's Avatar

    Post

    The 16mmBL or the 35mmBL??? The 16mmBL I thought was just about impossible to handhold without feeling like the camera is going to crash to the ground. On top of the fact that the damn thing weighs more than a kid.

    Good Luck

    ------------------

  5. #15
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    Yeah, that's what got me interested in 16mm, when I first heard about the A-Minima, about two years ago.
    Really nice camera.
    It has it's drawbacks, but it has some plusses too:
    Light, small, Super 16, takes Nikon lenses.
    The drawbacks are the 200 ft loads, but it's not that big a deal, if you ask me.
    $16,000 for a body though, is way out of my price range, so here I sit with my lowly Canon Scoopic...

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

  6. #16
    Supa-eight
    Guest Supa-eight's Avatar

    Post

    Mmmmmmm, the Aaton A-minima is a early 16mm filmmakers wet dream by far.

    ------------------

  7. #17
    Nigel
    Guest Nigel's Avatar

    Post

    I was playing with the Minima this last Summer at Abel Cine in NYC. It was cool for sure. I would love to have one. Hmmmm--Maybe, Maybe?

    Good Luck

    ------------------

  8. #18
    seekaee
    Guest seekaee's Avatar

    Post

    Just recently I saw the making of the Lenny Kravetz/Mick Jagger video and noticed that they shot the entire video with Aatons' new A-Minima. Pretty Cool.



    [This message has been edited by seekaee (edited January 06, 2002).]

  9. #19
    Konton
    Guest Konton's Avatar

    Post

    Hey Supa-eight, how do you like the Beaulieu R-16? You got film already to go? Just curious. You may want to learn how to take off the lens and put it back on first thing. That way you can be sure it's on tight and be able to use different lenses when you want to.

    For anyone else I got two 16mm camera left:
    The Beaulieu R-16 for $1000 http://www.super8mm.org/sale/beaulieu_r-16.html
    and a Cinema Products CP-16 for $1300 http://www.super8mm.org/sale/cinema_products_cp-16.html
    Please contact me if you have any questions. I'm willing to negotiate.

  10. #20
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    Wow, if I were not going through such dire financial times, I'd snap up that CP16 right now....
    Let me know if you still have it in a couple months...

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •